Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Baked Oatmeal

I was recently asked about the baked oatmeal I make. I was asked in a comment (through comment moderation) and for the life of me, I cannot find that comment again so that I can reply and tell you how I do it. So, here's to hoping that you come back and see this post. This is the baked oatmeal I make. I make many different versions of oatmeal (my son loves it, and I have enjoyed many different recipes) but often fall back on this one for ease, low cost, and also for enjoyment! Unfortunately, I found this recipe before I started using Evernote (which automatically tracks the URL) and I do not remember where I got the original recipe, but I've made many of my own adjustments and variations.

(bad picture, but the only one I had in my archives from making it)

Baked Oatmeal (I get 6-8 servings depending on my toddler's appetite)

1 1/2 C quick oats
1/4 C wheat germ
1/4 C ground flaxseed
1/8 C sugar (I've also used splenda, but this adds more cost)
3/4 C milk (I've used 2% and vanilla soy)
1/4 C applesauce (I've also subbed spinach puree to help my son get more veggies)
2 eggs  (or 1/2 C egg substitute but this adds more cost)
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla (I use homemade vanilla)
*From time to time, I've added about 1/2 C frozen blueberries
**Total Cost (when using regular sugar and eggs) is slightly over $1. For the whole pan! Great cost for a week of breakfast for my son!
Instructions:
Heat oven to 350. Combine all ingredients. Mix well. Spread into greased 9 x 13 baking dish. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until edges are golden and top is crusty. Spoon into bowls and top with milk. Or, do what I do and cut into 8 servings, store in the fridge (or freezer) and use for a week of already made breakfasts for toddler. When doing this, I simply add a little milk, heat for about a minute, then break up and stir to your desired consistency.

What I like about it:
sweet without too much sugar
it has wheat germ and flaxseed
the cost is very low
it is simple, and yet very versitle
it is both soft on the inside and crispy on the outside

Do you have a favorite oatmeal? I'd love to hear about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment