Friday, April 2, 2010

Amazing Grilled Cheese Sandwich

I was so excited about this meal that I knew I would want to document it. Usually I make a meal, love it, and then think 'I should have taken pics and shared that with others...' but then it's a little too late. Not this time.
I got my inspiration for this meal from Kevin at Closet Cooking, a Caramelized Apple Grilled Cheese Sandwich

I did make a few changes based on what I had in the house at the time, and I also made 2 sandwiches, so my recipe looked like this:

2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 apple, peeled, cored and thinly sliced (1 apple per sandwich was more than we needed, but it was
fine because we used the leftovers for dessert with cool whip on top!!)
 (I used an apple slicer, then cut each slice in half again)
sliced Colby cheese, enough for both sides of bread, to melt apples in between
4 slices of bread (we just had regular wheat bread on hand)
butter for the bread

Melt the butter in a pan. Add the sugar and cinnamon until sugar is melted. 

Add the apple slices and saute until tender, about 5-10 minutes. 

Meanwhile, butter the bread, slice the cheese (or use pre-sliced) and when apples are ready, assemble the sandwich with some cheese on each side and apples in the middle. 

Cook on medium-low (the lower the better for grilled cheese so the bread doesn't get brown before the cheese in the middle has a chance to melt) until both sides are brown and cheese is melted. 

Enjoy the goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment