Saturday, January 23, 2010

Time to Evaluate!

I just wrote this post a few weeks ago, less than a month, but I feel a need to evaluate where I am with my efficiency. Why? Because I need to inspire myself. Inspire myself to evaluate why I chose this word for my year and how I am doing with living by it.
I am trying to live by this word in all areas of my life. There are various areas of my life that are easier to evaluate than others. Ultimately, though, I feel I am falling short thus far. Again, this is not for pity, not necessarily for encouragement, but really to inspire myself back to why I chose the word and create more change.
I think I have fallen short mainly because I make excuses.
I am pregnant.
I am tired.
I'll do it tomorrow.
I don't want to wake my son from his nap.
I'll get to it.
I'll do it on my day off.
And on, and on, and on...
Today is a good example of falling short.
I did run a few errands, get some grocery shopping done, spend time with my son, make a soup for my son to stock the freezer with...and this seems good. But I also spend time, way too much time, being lazy around the house for no good reason...
There is stuff sitting in my upstairs hallway that needs to be stored in the attic...
There are dishes that need to be done...
There are things to work on for prepping to have baby #2 soon...
There are three books that I have started but read none of today...
There is an exercise bike begging to be used...
There is clutter...lots and lots of clutter...
There is dust on the furniture, dirt on the floor, grime in the bathroom...you name it, we have it...and yet, I sat, surfing the internet and watching TV and being lazy...
I do not look back on today proud of my efficiency. Instead I look back on today and realize that I am not living up to my word. I realize that I need evaluation today, and I will probably need it again tomorrow, and next week, and next month...I realize that I need to post this word in more places in my house so that I am reminded of my goal more often...I realize that I need to be an example in my house...I realize that if I don't learn to live by this word with one kid I am never gonna make it with two...
And so, here goes...as I once again hold up my glass of sparkling apple cider and say "Here's to being more efficient in the new year!"

No comments:

Post a Comment