Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Comparing the cost of baby food


My son is 6 months old and he is eating about 3-4 ouces, usually twice a day.
He has tried apples, bananas, cantaloupe, pears, peaches, avocado, peas, carrots, sweet potatoes.
So far, everything has been homemade, and I'd like to keep it that way as loooooong as possible. I do not want him to realize the other stuff might be sweeter. I don't want him to learn the taste of preservatives yet.
I have been asked a few times recently if it is really worth the time. And if it actually does cost less, all factors included. For me, yes.
I have worked hard to find deals on fruits and vegetables, to buy them when they are on sale, make a lot and freeze the extra. I am not worried about buying ALL things organic, but some I do (same with our food).
I have also spent time at different stores and on line checking into what it would cost to buy baby food jars (taking into account when sales happen and how coupons would factor into the equation). I've done my research and I'm convinced. Not just from the cost perspective, but also in knowing that I am aware of exactly what I am putting in his mouth, and at least for now, I have control over that (except all the things he gets his hands on and puts in there when I am not looking...).
Here is a look at my most recent food: sweet potatoes.
I got them at Wal Mart when they were $.93/lb. I bought 2.97 lbs for a cost of $2.76. I wasn't totally sure how they would go over, so I didn't buy more at the time, but most likely will next time I go back to the store.
My husband did much of the work this time as I was out on a run and getting ready for a meeting (yes, dads can help too!).
The potatoes cook for a little over an hour (just took a few minutes to clean them and wrap them in foil before cooking at 400 degrees for a little over an hour).
They cooled for a bit. This is all time to be multitasking...
He peeled the skins very easily, chopped a little bit, added them to the processor, added some water as needed, and pureed away!
I should get about 16 feedings (comparable to stage 2 jar size amount) out of what was made. This works out to be $.04 per ounce! That is truly unbeatable! And this has been my experience. Total amount of actual work time? Maybe 30 minutes (probably exaggerating a little long here, but just in case you are a bit slower than me, not likely, but just in case).

I don't know how sure he is about it just yet, but i think I might mix it with some apples to begin with since he really likes the apples and this should help to adjust it to his likes but still get the vegetables.
I DEFinitely recommend making your own food!

1 comment:

  1. OH Angela...am enjoying ur blog. This idea of making my little girl's food in a few months sounds great! Thx for sharing ur experience!!
    Laurel

    ReplyDelete