Tuesday, June 2, 2009

How to Get Started-Part 6- Things I've Learned

It's Tuesday. I think it is good to do tips on Tuesdays. It just sounds good.
I have been doing a series about how to get started if you are just started to try and save money. Trying to make it simple, obviously. I think one of the best things about helping others it that you can learn from their experiences.

If you need to catch up on this series, you can find the previous posts here:
Start Small
Start Reading
Start Researching
Start Finding Coupons
Let Others Work For You
Simple and Practical

Today I wanted to hit on a few things that I've learned along the way. Granted, I have only been really working at this for about 2 months, but it always helps to hear what has and hasn't worked for others. At least I think so.

The coupons come out in cycles. In this past Sunday’s paper I saw a lot of new coupons for the same products of coupons that I had just discarded because they expired. So they will come back, don’t feel like you have to use it just because you have it and it is going to expire.

Don’t use a coupon just because you have it, but really try to wait until your coupon matches a store sale so you can get the best deal possible. There is always a good deal, but don’t be afraid to wait for the best deal.

You should not pay for anything that has to do with cleaning. If you work it right (laundry, bath products, cleaning spays, etc), you may only pay tax. If you paying more than this, it would be even cheaper (and greener) to make most cleaning products yourself. (I am just starting to look into this) This is my biggest stockpile right now and I can say with all honesty that I have probably paid just pennies for most of the items I have.

Other people love (and are great at) finding the best deals, so I don’t have to do this part. I just need to remember who does it best and bookmark their site (and thank them for their hard work!). I shouldn't spend my time doing what has already been done well.

No comments:

Post a Comment