Sunday, June 7, 2009

Watch your garden grow

I love finding ways to save money.

I love finding ways to eat healthy.

I love eating good food.

I love finding ways to save money while eating good, healthy food.

Grow a garden! That's how you can do it!

We are not experts. I am definitely not. I did not grow up gardening. I have not studied it, read up on it, spent hours trying to figure out what to do and how to do it. (Mainly because my husband has done the work on the garden. But still...)

You buy the seeds, or even some plants that are already started. Buy the things you know you will want to eat (maybe even all year round if you do good with the garden). Read the directions on the packet, or with the plant. Or quickly look the vegetable up on the internet if you have to. The internet is chock-full of info on how to grow a garden!

It really is simple. We water it on the days it doesn't rain (which hasn't been much lately) and we watch our plants grow. We've had peaches (we did not plant the trees and don't do much for them, but we get good peaches), lettuce, and sweet basil. All very good so far!

We watched our lettuce grow.

We thinned it out some and filled a couple of bowls with fresh-from-the-garden lettuce.

Then we made some really amazing salads with it! I can't wait for all the toppings to come from our garden too. But for right now, the avocados in the stores are so good. And tomatoes. And some slivered almonds and a light dressing. MMMM. I'm getting hungry for a salad.

It really IS simple! And thrifty. And green. (haha. I didn't mean the color when I wrote it. but it is the color green as well!)

No comments:

Post a Comment